Producing Less For The Purpose of Greater Production
During the open of last week’s episode of Podcast Answer Man, I hinted that I was considering the thought of producing less shows moving forward. As I share in this episode, the reason is that I want to maximize the value of any of the work that I do, including the various podcasts that I might produce.
So many people have come to me, as a podcast consultant/coach, who are wanting to launch three to five podcasts before the end of their first year in podcasting, without understanding what all goes into the production of a single show. I believe that podcasts are most effective and valuable when they serve a niche audience and when that audience is served extremely well. Leo Laporte echoed this key area of success in the interview I did with him back in November.
To effectively super serve a niche community, I believe that you should be willing to devote a great deal of time, energy, and attention to making every aspect of your production and community environments as valuable and as high a quality as possible. I’ve come to the point where I understand that with all the shows that I currently produce (approximately five to ten a week on average right now), I am producing a lot of really good content. However, I personally feel that, on average, I only produce about two GREAT episodes each week. I’ve determined that this is simply not acceptable when I consider the hopes, dreams, and goals that I have for the future of my podcast network at gspn.tv.
The following are some of the big changes that I’ve decided to make moving forward. I share more details about each of these decisions in this episode.
– I will be ending the Balanced Living Weekly podcast after 83 episodes (final episode pending). This show was started on September 27th, 2009 with Fr. Roderick Vonhogen as my co-host. I will continue to share my pursuit of a balanced life in the Pursuing A Balanced Life podcast.
– My wife, Stephanie, will be Ending the Full Time Mom podcast after 184 episodes (final episode pending). She launched this show on July 14th, 2007. I’m excited to announce that Stephanie will continue to share everything that she would have shared in this podcast in both the Authentic Life Radio and Family From The Heart podcasts.
– I will be ending the Business Tech Weekly podcast after 109 episodes (final episode pending). This show was started on September 8th, 2009 with Andy Traub as my co-host. Andy will continue share his business pursuits on his own Take Permission podcast network. From this point forward, I will bring all of my business technology and business growth experiences here into the Podcast Answer Man podcast and in my Pursuing A Balanced Life podcast.
– I have ended the Social Media Serenity podcast after 119 episodes. This show was started on July 17th, 2009 with Erik J. Fisher as my co-host. From this point forward, I will bring all social media news, updates, and experiences here into the Podcast Answer Man podcast. Beginning next week, I plan to have Erik become my Social Media correspondent for Podcast Answer Man. The thought is that we will try to include a ten minute social media segment each week.
– I am officially ending the Help I Got A Mac podcast after 180 episodes (final episode pending). I had started this podcast when I purchased my first Apple computer, as a means of sharing my experience on this new computing platform. The show was officially re-launched on October 14th, 2007 when Chris Beiting agreed to be co-host the show with me.
– I have ended the Almost Daily Devotional Podcast after 166 episodes. I had launched this podcast back on March 3rd, 2008 with the idea that I would produce three to five 10 minute episodes each week. There were a few times that I had achieved this goal. However, for the most part, the show’s production schedule had been pretty hit or miss throughout the years. I will continue to produce the content that I would have included in the Almost Daily Devotional in my Encouraging Others Through Christ podcast.
– After 124 episodes, I made the decision to re-brand the About The Church podcast. This was only the third podcast that I had ever created for our network and it was launched on April, 23rd, 2006, just four months after I started podcasting. Moving forward, the content for this show will be continue to be produced and on a more consistent basis. The show will known as the Encouraging Others Through Christ podcast.
Am I Leaving The Network Model Behind? NO WAY!
If there is any fear about making so many changes all at once, it is that folks may think that I am abandoning the gspn.tv network/community. This could not be further from the fact!
All of these decisions have been made in order that I can spend less time making good content and MORE TIME making GREAT content. As mentioned above, you can see that I have a plan for the content that would have been provided in each of the shows that are ending, with the exception of Help I Got A Mac, to be included in other existing shows.
Moving forward, there will be a renewed passion and drastic increase in the quality of all of the following main gspn.tv shows as the result of these changes.
– Podcast Answer Man – PodcastAnswerMan.com
– Family From The Heart – FamilyFromTheHeart.com
– Authentic Life Radio – AuthenticLifeRadio.com
– Life, Love, And The Movies – LifeLoveAndTheMovies.com
– Pursuing A Balanced Life – PursuingABalancedLife.com
– Encouraging Others Through Christ – EncouragingOthersThroughChrist.com
Podcast Series or Seasons
Those who have come to enjoy the entertainment podcasts that we produce for gspn.tv can rest assured that we will continue to produce shows like the Hunger Games Fan Podcast, Doctor Who Fan Podcast, Twilight Saga Fan Podcast and the gspn.tv Lost Fan Podcast.
In this episode, I share some thoughts that I’ve have recently related to how I may approach any new podcast launches with a end for the podcast in mind, a podcast series, or with the idea of only producing a certain number of episodes at a time, as a podcast seasons.
Bringing A Final Close To Premium Member Only Site
One year ago, I made the decision to give all the content, that we produce, away free of charge. Previously, we had partial premium model for many of our podcasts known as Plus Membership. As a result, I have been managing two separate websites for all the gspn.tv content since 2008. While we were using this partial premium content model, I would publish all free episodes of all our podcast to our gspn.tv main site while I would post every episode of every podcast on our gspn.tv Plus Member Access Site. This means that since January 2008, every single episode we published, which was about seven to fifteen episodes a week, had to be published to two separate websites.
Effective here in January, 2012, I will no longer be publishing content to the Plus Member Only site. I will leave that site active as an online archive. This old site will contain all of the content that had been produced from December 2005 through the end of 2011. Every episode of every show that we have produced since January of 2011 can be found at http://gspn.tv.
Later today, I will record a short special episode that will be put into every single podcast feed on that Plus Member site explaining what is going on and that those who were subscribe to the “Plus Member Feeds” will want to go and subscribe to the main gspn.tv feeds found on our site or in iTunes. I will point people to http://gspn.tv/shows as a resource to easily find the subscription links they are looking for.
Bottom Line – Making A Dent In The World
The bottom line is that I want to create Entertaining, Educational, Encouraging, and Inspirational content that makes a difference in people’s lives. I want to spend LESS time producing “good” content and I want to spend MORE TIME producing GREAT, can’t live without, content that helps to make positive change in the lives of those who listen.
I believe that I have been called, by God, to be a force of positive change in the world! I believe spending time creating the my own great content, that matters most, and helping thousands of people (other podcasters), around the world, take their shows to the next level, is how I will achieve this calling moving forward.
I hope to make an official announcement, to my Podcast Answer Man Mailing List, about the Podcaster’s Master Mind Group that I’ve been working on for the past two months. Stay turned for more details.
Blue Host Affiliate Signups
Special thanks to the folks behind RoundTablePodcast.com and ArizonaFootballLeague.com for using my Blue Host affiliate link this past week to create their hosting account. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Random Plug of The Week
This week’s random plug of the week goes out to Adam Baker of ManVsDebt.com. Adam’s Man Vs Debt podcast reached the top ten spot in iTunes in the Investing category. This put him right up next to Dave Ramsey and other big time mainstream traditional media guys. I share more thoughts on this in the episode. Congratulations Adam!
PODCAST CONSULTING: I’m available for one on one podcast consulting and coaching. Whether you want someone to get everything set up for you or you just need a little help along the way, I’d love to work with you. I’m able to demonstrate using screen sharing technology during our call which makes it just like I was there sitting next to you at the computer. If you are interested, email me at [email protected].
PODCAST VIDEO TUTORIALS: I also have a growing list of video tutorials that I have created based up on the the top things my clients have hired me to help them with. See the full list of tutorials by clicking here.
Please consider ReTweeting the following update to share this episode…
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Check out PodcastAnswerMan.com/243 to learn why six shows have been canceled on the gspn.tv network.
— Cliff Ravenscraft (@GSPN) January 6, 2012
Access My Best Podcasting Advice, Tips & Strategies. FREE!
Every Friday, I send an email sharing my best advice, tips and strategies related to podcasting. Each of these weekly emails contain relevant and actionable information that can help you no matter where you are in your podcasting journey.