Hey folks. Here is another episode that I pre-recorded before leaving for my two week family vacation. In this episode, I share twenty two tips that will help you improve your podcast interviews. These tips start 29 minutes into the episode.
I use the opening of the show to I discuss a few details related to a new sponsorship that I have worked out for two shows on my podcast network.
22 Tips To Improve Your Podcast Interviews (Starts at exactly 29 minutes into the episode)
- When inviting a guest for an interview, be sure to clearly communicate the name of your show, the website address of your show, and what your show is about.
- Explain why you would like to have this guest on your show.
- Clearly communicate how long you are requesting for the interview to take place.
- Be prepared by offering at least two to three time slots for the guest to choose from. Be flexible if those are not a good fit for their schedule.
- Once you confirm a date and time with your guest, be certain to communicate how the interview will be conducted. Provide applicable information such as phone number or Skype contact ID, etc, and clearly communicate who is going to initiate the call.
- If the interview is scheduled more than a week in advance, be sure to send a follow up reminder one week prior to the scheduled interview.
- Regardless of when the interview is scheduled, send a follow up reminder the day before the interview. Be sure to communicate, again, how the interview will be conducted, the contact information, and who will be initiating the call.
- It should go without saying, but BE SURE TO INCLUDE TIME AND TIME ZONE information when sending requests and any confirmations or follow ups related to the interview.
- Consider sending an outline of questions that you will cover in advance of the interview.
- If something comes up on your schedule that would conflict with your scheduled interview, DO NOT PUT THIS OFF, immediately contact your guest and let them know. Make sure to confirm that they received your message about the conflict.
- Always MARK OFF AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED INTERVIEW to prepare for the call. Make sure that you have no obligations that would keep you from being on time with your call.
- Call your guest ON TIME! Seriously, be very respectful of their time.
- Do not go over your time scheduled for the interview.
- Follow up with a thank you note. This can be done via email, but it has more impact when you send a card (or gift) by mail.
- Be prepared to give an introduction of your guest rather than asking them to introduce themselves.
- When asking a question, don’t continue speaking and answering the question for them by continuing to answer the question for them.
- Don’t interrupt your guest when they are speaking.
- Don’t give verbal agreements to every statement that they make.
- Avoid questions that allow for simple one word answers.
- Have an idea of the main points you desire to have come out within the interview, ask questions that get you to reach those goals and allow the conversation to flow.
- Listen to your guest while they are speaking.
- Make sure to learn how to pronounce your guests name correctly.
Podcasting A to Z
Do you want to learn how to podcast but don’t know where to start? Podcasting A to Z is a four week online training course that walks you through each step in the process of setting up a podcast. You not only get step-by-step tutorials, but you also have the ability to get answers to all your questions during the four week session.
If you have been thinking about starting a podcast, this is the course for you. Just head over to http://PodcastingAtoZ.com for full details and use discount code “PAM” to save $100 off the cost of the course. I look forward to potentially working with you.
The Podcast Mastermind
Are you a podcaster?
Are you self-employed or desire to be?
Are you willing to invest in your future success?
Have you heard about The Podcast Mastermind organization?
The Podcast Mastermind is focused on the personal and professional growth of it’s members. Find out more at PodcastMastermind.com!
Upcoming Event Schedule
One of my favorite things about traveling to, and speaking at conferences, is meeting members of my community. I always make it a point to host a community meetup wherever I travel.
Below is a list of events that you might be interested in. If you can make it to any of these events, I’d love to have the opportunity to meet you. If you are not able to attend the event, but are in that area, I’d still love for you to come to the personal community meetup that I will host in that town.
November 3-5 – Dallas, TX
Conference Link – http://PlatformConference.tv
Affiliate Info: Use promo code “Cliff” to save $100 on registration!
New Media Expo
January 4-6, 2014 – Las Vegas, NV
Conference Link – http://NewMediaExpo.com
Exclusive Audio Branding Package Opportunity
I want to remind you that I have an exclusive audio branding package through Music Radio Creative that is only available to the Podcast Answer Man community. For only $449, you will get the following:
- A one hour 1-to-1 web meeting with Mike and/or Izabella to discuss your podcast’s exact audio needs and help design your audio brand.
- An amazing podcast intro with an introduction to your podcast and music bed.
- An exciting podcast outro with music and a call to action of your choice.
- Three jingles/bumpers that you can use to transition between segments, mention your website address, introduce interviews, features and more.
- Complete script writing service for all of your audio products.
I encourage you to check out the commercial below and then click here to schedule your audio branding consultation today.
Shop With B&H Photo & Support Podcast Answer Man
I am thrilled about the relationship that I have formed with the folks at B&H Photo, Video, & Pro Audio. They have amazing prices on podcast equipment and so much more. Best of all, their customer service is almost as good as my own.
When placing an order through my affiliate link, you end up paying the same low price and I earn a generous commission. If you have used my affiliate link to make a purchase with B&H, please leave me a comment with your name and a link to your website in the comments section below.
Blue Host Affiliate Signup
I want to send out a special word of thanks to the folks behind the following domains that were used to create a new hosting account with BlueHost with my Blue Host affiliate link recently. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Note: The fact that I have linked to these accounts is only to acknowledge that these folks have used my affiliate link to create a hosting account with BlueHost. These links are not an endorsement of any content that may be posted to these sites. If you ever recognize content blatantly offensive at any of these links, please let me know and I will be sure to evaluate and consider if the link should be removed from this post. These accounts are all brand new and may not be active yet. Also, it is possible that some of these domains were previously owned and may not have been transferred to BlueHost just yet.
Free Month of Media Hosting With Libsyn!
Because of all the years of sending clients to sign up for accounts with Libsyn, they have created an affilate program only given to a hand selected group of podcasting experts. I’m delighted that I am now able to offer your ONE MONTH FREE when you sign up for a new account with Libsyn. Simply use promo code GSPN when you sign up! For my complete thoughts on podcast hosting, click here.
Podcast Video Tutorials:
I have a growing list of video tutorials that I have created based up on the the top things my clients have hired me to help them with. See the full list of tutorials by clicking here.
I Appreciate Your iTunes Reviews!
If you have ever read my blog post about how iTunes podcast ratings work, then you know just how valuable leaving a 5 star rating and/or a written review can be to a content producer.
I am so incredibly thankful to those who have recently gone into my listing in iTunes to provide a five star rating and a written review of Podcast Answer Man.
Access My Best Podcasting Advice, Tips & Strategies. FREE!
Every Friday, I send an email sharing my best advice, tips and strategies related to podcasting. Each of these weekly emails contain relevant and actionable information that can help you no matter where you are in your podcasting journey.