I recently received an email from Mike Wendland that said… “I bought your equipment package, worked through many of your tutorials and have listened to most, if not all of the Podcast Answer Man episodes. I also follow the Pursuing a Balanced Life podcast.
I wanted to write you and let you know that my Roadtreking podcast: The RV Podcast just hit the one million download mark on Libsyn. This happened in a little over 10 months. As you know, very, very few podcasts ever reach that level and for those that do, it usually takes many years to accomplish. Our doing it in 10 months is a major milestone.
In addition, the podcast has sold out in sponsorships. I now have four major sponsors, all committed to a one year program. I have two others on a waiting list, if and when another sponsorship opens.
This all came from following your advice of following my passion, delivering weekly, consistent content of high production quality that is useful to my audience.
Although I am now earning a full-time income from this show, it is a labor of love and I would do it even if didn’t make a cent. I truly enjoy putting every episode together and it is such a joy as we travel around the country to find people who follow the show and come up and introduce themselves to us.
I feel your tutelage is a major reason for the success. Thank you all so much for making this happen!!!! – Mike”
The 10 Podcasting Tips Mike Shared In This Episode:
1) Do not focus on making money. Make friends. Don’t think audience. Think individuals. Share, teach, help, serve, connect.
2) Content is and always will be king. Have fresh content every day if possible. Make the podcast the highlight of the week for you and your audience but have fresh content on blog to keep in contact.
3) Build relationships by answering every email, engaging on Facebook, helping to answer questions. Commenting on the posts. Sharing photos. Tell them where you are and what you are doing.
4) Make it easy for the audience to listen by having a show notes page with links and resources. I embed the time of each segment or feature so they can go right there.
5) Develop systems with Apps and plugins. I use Text Expander, Evernote, the new Apple notes to organize notes and to have templates of standard answers. Pretty Links to shorten urls. Speakpipe for listener questions.
6) Think of your platform as an integrated ecosystem. Blog, newsletter, videos, podcast, social media. All work together. All feed each other. When one grows they all grow.
7) Get help. Form a team. I have a virtual assistant who helps with newsletters and show notes. I use Edgar for my social media management. I have a team of a dozen volunteer moderators who keep things civil on my Facebook group and page. I have a handpicked team of seven volunteer writers who help with the blog.
8) Expand your circles of friends. Use LinkedIn Groups. Pinterest. Share your material there. Look for posts on Facebook that address a topic you’ve already covered and link to it use Twitter with how to links or to ask questions.
9) Get better. Work on audio quality. Try new things like Blab. Be enthusiastic. Genuine. Relentlessly positive. Transparent. Ask for suggestions and help. Be willing to change. Keep learning!
10) Keep this all in proper perspective. Get rest. Take care of your most important off screen relationships first. Balance work and personal time. Be spiritually grounded. Eat right and exercise. Work smart but don’t be afraid to take a day off.
Podcasting A to Z
Do you want to learn how to podcast but don’t know where to start? Podcasting A to Z is a four week online training course that walks you through each step in the process of setting up a podcast. You not only get step-by-step tutorials, but you also have the ability to get answers to all your questions during the four week session.
If you have been thinking about starting a podcast, this is the course for you. Just head over to http://PodcastingAtoZ.com for full details. I look forward to potentially working with you.
Free Month of Media Hosting With Libsyn!
Because of all the years of sending clients to sign up for accounts with Libsyn, they have created an affiliate program only given to a hand selected group of podcasting experts. I’m delighted that I am now able to offer your ONE MONTH FREE when you sign up for a new account with Libsyn. Simply use promo code GSPN when you sign up! For my complete thoughts on podcast hosting, click here.
Podcast Video Tutorials:
I have a growing list of video tutorials that I have created based upon the the top things my clients have hired me to help them with. See the full list of tutorials by clicking here.
Access My Best Podcasting Advice, Tips & Strategies. FREE!
Every Friday, I send an email sharing my best advice, tips and strategies related to podcasting. Each of these weekly emails contain relevant and actionable information that can help you no matter where you are in your podcasting journey.