My Slippery Slope Moment
I did it. I think I may have stepped onto a slippery slope. At approximately 29 minutes into this episode, I used the phrase, “You can't see it if you are listening to audio.” I was doing something, that you could see in video, that would be of great interest to my entire audience. Using such a phrase, knowing that the audience knows that a video of this episode is available is like saying that it would have been more valuable, for you, if you were watching the video, at that moment, than if you were listening to the audio.
This is a road that I have seen a number of audio only podcasters go down when they decided to start streaming and releasing the video recordings of their podcast content. Before long, those podcasts had become so filled with “if you could see the video” references that it became frustrating to be an audio only listener. In most cases, I had transfered my subscription to their podcast over to the video version so that I wouldn't be “missing out” on these valuable moments.
Unfortunately, because I don't have as much time to consume video podcast content, I've eventually deleted all but two video podcast subscriptions. Part of me wonders if I've stepped onto this same slippery slope. I suppose only time will tell.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
– Video Camera Woes (00:01:30)
– Why don't you plug your mic directly into your MDX-4600? (00:17:13)
– If you had to use a headworn microphone, which would you use? (00:27:16)
– Is the title of my podcast too niched down? (00:34:38)
– Is it possible to replace a podcast episode with a new recorded version? (00:42:32)
– Can I release recent episodes as my podcast as new episodes with a new title?(00:50:28)
– How important is it to list your rss feed on your site today? (00:58:26)
– Initial thoughts on the Startup podcast. (01:04:47)
Video Recording of this episode
The following video is an UNEDITED version of the Behind The Scenes Recording of this episode of Podcast Answer Man. Join me for a future live broadcast of Podcast Answer Man. Click here for details.