In this video blog post, I wanted to share how I have been managing a great deal of information within a multitude of plain .txt files.

I originally recorded this video back on December 19th, 2012. I was so excited about the setup that I had configured, I simply couldn't resist creating this tutorial. However, I wanted to wait a few weeks before sharing it to make sure that this was a system that I would actually continue to use.

I'm posting this to my site on January 28th, 2013 and I can tell you that I have used this system EVERY SINGLE DAY for over a month now and I am just as passionate about it today as I was when I first set it up. Have a look at the video here and I'll post a few brief thoughts below.

As of today, I am now managing more than 50 different .txt files that are available to me everywhere I go. They are always 100% in sync with the latest version whether I'm at my desktop, my iphone, or working from my iPad Mini.

There is simply one thing that I learned after this video had already been created. If you go into the settings and look under “Fonts” the “Default Font Type” was set to “Fixed Width.” If you look at the bottom it says “New notes will default to using this.”

What I found was that my notes created on my desktop, using Notational Velocity, were created with the Helvetica font that I prefer. When I would open such a note that was not created in Notesy, it was seen as a “new note.” As a result, the note would open with a different “fixed width” font and it was messing up the spacing of all my notes.

I solved this by changing the “Default Font Type,” both on my iPhone and my iPad Mini, to “Variable Width” to match my Notational Velocity Helvetica Font selection as seen here:

photo

After I had realized that all the notes that I had created on my desktop had this horrible font, and there seemed to be no way to change it, I simply went to DropBox and moved all my .txt files to my desktop.

I then opened Notesy on my iPad and iPhone and it then showed that there were no files to be opened in the DropBox Folder. I then put all the .txt files back in the DropBox folder and since they were ALL”new documents” when notesy found them again, they all opened with the new default “Helvetica” font this time. Problem solved.

For those who are wondering, I still store a great deal of information inside of a service called WorkFlowy. However, I am spending more time inside of these .txt files. In fact, all my “to do items” now reside in my todo.txt file. 😉

Access My Best Podcasting Advice, Tips & Strategies. FREE!

Every Friday, I send an email sharing my best advice, tips and strategies related to podcasting. Each of these weekly emails contain relevant and actionable information that can help you no matter where you are in your podcasting journey.

Powered by ConvertKit